I’ve discovered the fountain of youth. I’m not referring to a mythical spring that restores the physical youth of anyone who drinks from it or bathes in its waters, but I am talking about an authentic feeling of youth. Getting old is inevitable, however, feeling old is not. With the proper attitude, we can be young at heart no matter our chronological age.
Every human is designed for excellence. The Bible is filled with ordinary people who lived extraordinary lives because they believed God would work in and through them. That belief is the nucleus of the fountain of youth I’ve discovered. Staying young while growing old begins with your mind.
Here’s how to cultivate the right attitude:
- See each day as an opportunity to build your relationship with God … moving 1% forward … to trust Him a little more, love Him a little more, and serve others in His name a little more.
- Never stop learning from Scripture. Crave the Word the way a baby craves milk so you can continuously grow spritually … moving 1% daily.
- Accept as truth that we become what we think about. Your mind doesn’t care what you plant, but it will return what you plant. Let Godly thinking shape your attitude. Be grateful, positive, and prayerful, not covetous and poisonous.
- Don’t withdraw into self-absorption. Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conciet. Rather, invest your life in others for their spiritual encouragement and growth. Do this for people you like, people who don’t look like you, think like you, and vote like you, and especially for people you dislike.
I must admit. That last one is the hardest. The only way to accomplish it is to leave some room for grace in your relationships with others. Every time I order a coffee, I’m asked, “Would you like room for cream?” What I need … what we all need … is room for grace. The more the better. In fact, some people are EGRs … Extra Grace Required.
Leaving room for grace allows for that space to be filled with self-control. It allows for the discarding of the petty and seeing the other person as another human created in God’s image just like you. It creates a margin for prioritizing likeness over differences and others over self. It leaves room for love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, gentleness, and faithfulness, the fruit of the authentic fountain of youth.
Ordinary humans live extraordinary lives when they drink from this fountain of youth. God has proven it and promises it to all those who commit. Here is what this fountain produces:
- Great Ambition. While many people are content with being ordinary, this fountain allows for proper motives and ambition. Your desire for God to do something significant through you will be granted. God will always honor a worthy request.
- Growing Faith. You don’t need a special ability or talent. You dont need a certain amount of money or education. This fountain produces a deep trust and belief that God will work through you. You become a common human with an uncommon faith.
- Genuine Prayer Life. This is the real secret that stretch dreams are made of. Imagine the greatest thing that could possibly happen … and then realize God can stretch it beyond that. Pray for three things:
- Ask for a blessing. There’s nothing wrong with that. God wants to bless your life.
- Ask for help. As you recieve your blessing, you’ll have greater responsibilities and demands. You don’t have to shoulder it alone. God sends the Holy Spirit as your helper. Ask for His presence along the journey.
- Ask for protection. The more successful you are, the more critics you’ll have. The closer you grow to God, the stronger you’ll become in His name, and the more evil forces will oppose you. Ask Him to keep you from harm and free from pain.
Always leave room for grace so that the fruit of the authentic fountain of youth may grow in your mind and heart. Then your life will be like a tree planted by streams of water, which yields fruit in season and whose leaves does not wither. You will prosper at whatever you do.